Thursday, February 11, 2016

Throwback Thursday: Terry the TSX

I have a lot of old Batman items that have been used up to the point where they're not very photogenic anymore so I've decided to use Throwback Thursdays and Flashback Fridays as a reason to recycle some old pictures of my Batman collection and tell the stories behind them. There will probably be a lot of these posts because I have a lot of old Batman stuff. You'll learn that, with the (very significant) exception of Funko Pops, I typically like to buy Batman products that I know I'll love and use and, that's what I'll do, use them, sometimes until I've completely worn them down.

On to today's edition of THROWBACK THURSDAY!

I was recently (last month) in a car accident where my white 2009 Acura TSX was deemed a total loss. Its name was Terry the TSX after Terry McGinnis from Batman Beyond (Mickey's idea). I was pretty devastated because I loved that car. It was the first car that was truly mine, a gift from my parents, that I wrecked almost exactly 6 years to the day from January 10, 2010 when we brought it home. It was only a total of 7 years old with just over 61k miles on it so it still had such a long life to live! So young, so young.

After speaking to several people about the accident, though, I stepped back and realized that I shouldn't be so fixated on the vehicle. I'm very lucky and very grateful nobody was seriously injured. As many friends told me after the accident, "cars are replaceable, people are not." I'm okay, everybody involved is okay, and that's what matters.

I collected my things from Terry and it was off to the auto auction never to be seen again. This post is dedicated to Terry and all the great memories it accompanied me through including 4 jobs and a road trip half way across the country. Below are the items that adorned my sweet ride. Most pictures are from 4-6 years ago when a lot of the items were brand new.

Thanks for being the sexiest first car I could ask for, Terry, and hope your parts will be used for good, to help other cars in need. :)

BATMAN CHROME AUTO EMBLEM
My favorite part of the car was the Batman chrome emblem. It was a birthday gift from my brother during the first year I owned Terry. I loooooved it and I thought it was such a sweet and thoughtful gift. On top of that, I thought it looked pretty badass. If I had to pick one car accessory for my car, it would be this. I believe he purchased this from Amazon where they're still available.

Batman chrome auto emblem after applied to the car
Emblem in the packaging
BATMAN CLEAR CAR FLOOR MATS
I bought CLEAR car mats because I thought they would be easier to clean. I also figured I could just layer them over the existing carpet car mats instead of removing those entirely. Over the years, these got very scratched up and dirty, but I don't regret the decision because the carpet that you could see underneath was still pristine. Whatever you get as car mats, just know they're going to get beat up. Maybe I'll look into rubber floor mats next. These were also from Amazon. These clear ones no longer seem to be available, but there are still various options you can find including rubber and carpet floor mats.

These are the mats fresh out of the packaging from Amazon. The little spikes underneath weren't long enough and so didn't dig into the car carpet enough and ended up slipping around more than I would have liked. I ended up using velcro to secure them.
They still looked really good, though. This is the driver seat car mat of course.
Back seat car mats
Passenger seat car mat. My Batman brake light sticker sheet is seen in the bottom left corner unused. :) It didn't fit/work with Terry so I still have it somewhere. Good job on me doing my research before purchasing, eh? Who knows, maybe it'll fit my new car.
BATMAN LICENSE PLACE FRAMES
I actually think I bought these from a little kiosk in the middle of a mall, Great Mall in Milpitas, CA. I ended up buying 2, one for the front and one for the back. I was really debating whether or not to get 2 at the kiosk. When the salesperson heard me deliberating, he offered me $5 off the second one and I immediately took it. Mickey mentioned I probably could have held out for a better deal, but I'm just awful at bargaining, which means car shopping is going to be a joy.

Crooked picture, but you get the idea. The front plate was identical.
BATMAN CD VISOR
I know even 6 years ago CDs were dying out, but the car came with a 6-CD changer so I tried to take advantage of it. It was a nice Batman touch if nothing else. Don't laugh, but I have a matching Batman CD book that I'll probably share at a later date.





BATMAN WINDSHIELD SUNSHADE
I bought this when I moved to Texas because I was concerned about the heat damaging the leather. I unfortunately do not have a picture of the sunshade in action, but you all know what a sunshade does, right? I want to say I purchased it on Amazon, but it's available on other websites too.

Sunshade unfolded. I noticed other designs available on websites like Amazon
The sunshade folded up nicely and I just snuggled it up next to the passenger seat. Batman Moleskine notebook and Mac decal making a in this photo cameo. Yes, I still have one of the white Macbooks. I replaced the hard drive recently so it's still going pretty strong.
HANDMADE BATMAN FINGER PUPPET
This was a gift from a friend. You can see it actually inside the car in the above picture (in the shadows to the left). It used to hang on my rearview mirror, but it kept getting snagged so I moved it down to hang above the mid-console. My college roommate made this finger puppet for me as a goodbye gift when I graduated. Yes, it's actually a finger puppet. Isn't that cute? My OTHER college roommate at the time made me a gigantic Bat-symbol-shaped cookie when I graduated. They were the sweetest. A throwback food post will probably make an appearance eventually.


BATMAN CAR FRESHENER
I bought this just a month before the accident so this would probably be considered the newest addition to the car. It didn't smell awful, but it didn't smell much at all. I really bought it for the looks, though.


I'm still in car limbo right now and shopping slowly, not making any commitments just yet. Unfortunately, Acura doesn't make the TSX anymore. Boo. No lie, though, I've already started looking at new Batman car accessories for the car I don't even have yet. Of course I'll be sure to share anything I end up purchasing.

Sorry for my embarrassing photography skills. They're all different sizes because they're coming from a bunch of different cameras, some old and some new. Hoping to improve my photography skills for future posts.

---

Batman chrome auto emblem: Amazon
Batman car mats: Similar on Amazon. I couldn't find the clear ones anymore.
Batman license plate frames: Similar on Amazon
Batman CD visor: I couldn't find any type of Batman CD visor anywhere online likely because they're not as relevant nowadays. I would look to Etsy for a custom Batman CD visor if it's something you're actually interested in.
Batman windshield sunshade: Superherostuff.com
Batman Moleskine notebook: Barnes & Noble
Batman Mac decal: Similar on Etsy. This was a gift so I'm not 100% sure where it was purchased. I found a link on Etsy, but it sold out. I'm sure the same decal can be commissioned from some one on Etsy if you're looking for the same exact Batman: The Animated Series design.
Batman car freshener: Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment