Sunday, February 21, 2016

Mondy Gallery: Batman 75th Anniversary Artwork

In 2014 (can't believe it's been that long already), for Batman's 75th Anniversary, Mondo Gallery in Austin, TX showcased an amazing set of artwork inspired by Batman through the ages. If you guys don't know what Mondo does, check out their website. They put out some amazing limited edition artwork among other things. I hate limited edition stuff, but that doesn't necessarily mean I don't buy them when they're available to me. >_>

Mickey and I went to the reception for the Batman exhibit on opening night. The line wrapped across the street. We waited for a couple of hours for the gallery to open, but loved everything we saw at the exhibit when we got in. There were so many gorgeous pieces. Here are some of my (not so great) pictures from that night.





They even hired some one to dress up as Alfred Pennyworth to hand out free beers.


My pictures don't do it justice so I've included a video from Mondo that better summarizes that night.


So which pieces did we add to the Batman collection at home? We picked the below posters for our house!

Batman Begins by Kevin Tong. This one's the smallest of the 3 we purchased. I believe it's 18x24

Here it is on the other side of our kitchen. We bought the original version, but there was also a gray/black variant.
Black Mirror by Jock Francavilla. This one's a full 24x36.
It hangs behind the door of our toy room.
Batman Beyond by Kilian Eng. This one's also 24x36.
This one is also hanging in the toy room by the closet. 
I found this awesome page on Slashfilm.com that shows you all the art from the showcase in case you're interested in seeing what we DIDN'T bring home with us.

That same night, we also saw this on display.


This Batman: The Animated Series Die-Cut 12" Single wasn't on sale yet, but I put a placeholder on my calendar and made sure I pre-ordered it as soon as it was made available! It's a super cool bat-shaped vinyl featuring the Batman:TAS beginning and end credits music. I don't have a vinyl player, but it looked so cool that I bought it anyway. I'm a sucker. I can always invest in a vinyl player later!




Speaking of vinyls, you might have noticed other Mondo Batman vinyls in a picture above, but planning to share that in a separate post! Those came in their own set. For this particular post, I just wanted to share what we came home with from the Batman 75th Anniversary Mondo showcase. More to come as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment