Sunday, March 6, 2016

New Toy Room

Happy March! Even with it being a leap year, February still felt fast.

SXSW is coming to Austin, TX again which means I may be off the grid for the next couple of weeks. We're hosting a couple of friends and will likely be out every single night while still making sure I get my work done at my full-time job. During my first SXSW in 2014, I had the worst hangover of my life. I blame it on FOMO. There's so much going on, you don't want to miss a beat. I was a lot better last year about taking care of myself and hopefully the same will be true this year. Austin is a city of alcoholics, guys.

My throat has been extremely dry lately and feels swollen such that it's uncomfortable to swallow for the last 4-5 days. I have no other symptoms (i.e. fever, aches, pains), though, so I've been hoping I just get better before the debauchery ensues. I've been using the humidifier when going to sleep, drinking tons of tea, and even took some Zyrtec thinking it might be allergies. If anybody has any tips, let me know!

Anyway, I didn't want to go into SXSW without posting something. I've been a bit lazy to take pictures for this blog, but luckily the last time I had Mickey's DSLR out, I took a bunch of pictures of our toy room, which I've been meaning to share.

We put it together this past holiday season. Mickey and I spent this past holiday season in Texas, our first holiday season away from California and away from our family. We made it count, though, by giving ourselves a project to work on: OUR TOY ROOM... because married couples who have a toy room together, stay together. I think that's how the saying goes. The room's relatively small, but we love how it turned out.

From the door
You can see the Mondo print that I shared in my earlier post hanging on the right!
Can you see the little shark hat eating the pillow in the above picture? Hehehe. I got it from Six Flags Fiesta Texas. This picture is a bit dark so sorry for the bad lighting!

The Batman side of the room. Other Mondo print on the right of this picture, next to the door
From the opposite corner from the door so you can see both shelves
The non-Batman stuff
Here are some close ups and teasers of what's on the shelves. I'm planning to share more thoroughly in future posts, but in case you're curious:

The first set of pictures are from the Batman shelves. The Assault on Arkham animated movie promotional poster in the top left of the shelves was signed by the cast and crew including Kevin Conroy i.e. THE Batman himself. Meeting him for the first time is a story for another time. :)

Other items include more Mondo vinyls which I can't wait to share with you, Funko Pops of course, the Batman symbol mirror which is probably my favorite touch, art and figures by Dustin Nguyen and others, Batman stamps, etc. The New 52 red Nightwing statue in the corner actually belongs to Mickey. Nightwing is his favorite Batman character.

There will be some future posts dedicated to these items so keep an eye out for those!


On the non-Batman shelf, we have some representation from Game of Thrones, Marvel, Harry Potter, Bob's Burgers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Dragon Ball, Transformers, and Disney/Mickey Mouse.


Here's a close up of our Ginny Weasley and Luna Lovegood wands from Harry Potter World at Universal Studios Orlando (pre park expansion). We're going next month and planning to purchase some of the new interactive wands. So excited! Can't wait.

Luna on the left, Ginny on the right
There are also 2 smaller posters hanging in the toy room. Mickey and I love the prints. Both are by Dustin Nguyen, the same artist who brought you our proposal painting. It took us a long time to get them hung because they're an odd size, something like 12x19. We luckily found slightly larger frames at IKEA and just worked with it.

Dustin Nguyen art
Let me know what you think of our toy room or share your own. I know people have some crazy ones out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment