Sunday, March 5, 2017

Dragon's Lair Austin/Walmart Haul - Feb-Mar 2016

We went hunting for Justice League Dark on Blu-Ray and Dustin Nguyen/Derek Fridolf's newest Secret Hero Society last month and then for the latest issue of Dustin Nguyen/Jeff Lemire's Descender (seriously, read Descender) this weekend, which resulted in us buying a few more items!

Full February haul!
We couldn't find Secret Hero Society: Fort Solitude at our usual stop, Austin Books and Comics, but grabbed a copy at our 2nd stop Dragon's Lair Austin. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but seeing as how the audience for the book is supposed to be much younger than me, it should be a quick read. Mickey also grabbed the first Nightwing Rebirth tradeback while we were there. He's been following the Nightwing story pretty closely since New 52.


I also recently learned about the Batman: The Animated Series Dice Game from Batman News and since Dragon's Lair is known for their board/table top game selection, I ended up finding this there too! I love that it's super portable and easy to learn. I've already brought it to a restaurant/bar to play with friends on a Saturday afternoon! You play as a villain and your goal is to collect as much loot as possible before Batman busts you. The game comes with instructions, 10 dice, 4 villain character "coins," and a cylinder container to carry the game/shake the dice in. It's so cute!


We then had to stop by Walmart to grab the Justice League Dark Blu-Ray. Why don't comic book shops carry movies? Is there a reason for that? I'm just curious.

It's a pretty interesting movie, but not my favorite. Batman gets a lot of the spotlight yet again so I'm curious why it's called a Justice League movie. I'm not complaining, though! Jason O'Mara as Batman was decent. He's really hit or miss for me when it comes to voicing Batman. Sometimes I'm loving it and sometimes it really leaves me wanting something else, but maybe it has something to do with the writing he's provided with. I believe I mentioned in a previous post that he's growing on me as a voice of Batman.

The movie is very focused on magic and magical characters. When this is the case, I end up feeling like a lot of things that happen in the story are cop-outs and anything goes so twists don't always feel as interesting or maybe don't always make sense. As a general example, I friggin' LOVE everything about Harry Potter, but I still have so many questions about the whole series. There were just so many different ways for things to happen given that all the characters had so much power. Now that I think about it, that might explain why I'm so attracted to a superhero like Batman, some one on the opposite end of the spectrum from magical.


On to the more recent haul! We were in the area so we headed back to Dragon's Lair this weekend to grab Descender #19... and some other items.

Full March haul
Descender has had some amazing cliffhangers lately. It makes me so sad that each issue is so short! 


After grabbing Descender, we continued browsing much to my wallet's dismay. I've been keeping an eye out for the Funko Pop DC Bombshells collection since they created versions for Batgirl, the Joker, and Harley Quinn. They only had Batgirl on the shelf at the time so that's what I bought! She's pretty detailed and adorable. Look at her goggles! *SQUEE* I'm loving the ponytail too.


I rummaged through a discount bin and also grabbed this chunky comic-book-sound-effects-inspired "POW" ring before checking out. It was originally priced at ~$12, but was 50% off. I believe it's locally made, but after looking closer at the quality, I don't think I would have paid full price. I think it's adorable, though, and think it'll make a great accessory for any day especially during comic conventions! I actually put it on right away because we were headed straight to see Logan and I thought it was appropriate attire. Always looking to expand my tastefully nerdy, fake jewelry collection!


That's all of the new goodies as of late! Whew. Since Ash Wednesday was last week, I really thought about giving up buying Batman things. I settled on giving up coffee, but I really wonder how hard it would be for me to not buy any new Batman items for 40 days! I'd probably find a workaround like asking Mickey to buy it for me and then telling him I'd pay him back after Easter. 😂  I'm so bad.

Glad I could get a new blog post up before SXSW starts this week! With SXSW ramping up here in Austin, we've got friends coming through on back to back to back weekends so we'll be keeping very busy until late March. I'm not sure how active I'll be on the blog in the mean time. I don't think you all have very high expectations for me at this point, though, huh? 😁 Keep up with me on Instagram and Twitter, though! Hoping to still show Batman and Whiskey some love on those platforms until I'm back here again!

P.S. If any of my readers have any Batman-related products, movies, ideas, collectibles that you want to see me blog about, please let me know! Shoot me a comment on what you'd like to see or maybe what I can improve on. Would love some constructive feedback. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment