Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Monkey See Monkey Do! ATX Haul - July 2016

I mentioned in my last blog post that we have quite a few guests in town this week so we've been hauling ass all over Austin for the last few days. It is HOT out there, guys. I could feel the sweat dripping down my back as we walked from tourist location to tourist location.

Among these locations was South Congress. As we headed down the street filled with cute local shops and restaurants, we hopped into my favorite SoCo store, Monkey See Monkey Do. The products they sell remind me of a Spencer's but with a much more local, relaxed, friendly feel. I like to run in whenever we're in the area to see what new Batman knick knacks they have in store.

I know I shouldn't be spending money on anymore geeky stuff with SDCC just a day away, but I was super excited for some of the stuff I found.

Here's what I bought at Monkey See Monkey Do this past weekend. When I walked up to pay for my goodies, the cashier jokingly asked, "Getting the Batman starter kit?" Yes, yes, that's totally what I'm doing, not at all unnecessarily adding to my already atrocious Batman collection.


I first grabbed this adorable Batman rubber ducky. I don't even take baths (I take showers... for those of you who immediately jumped to the conclusion that I have bad hygiene). I think I'm just going to display this guy at my desk at work. Add this to the list of Batman things I've purchased, but definitely do not need. Cute/cool, though, huh?


I toted the Batman rubber ducky around the store with me contemplating whether or not I wanted to buy it when I ran across these blue and yellow Batman crew socks. I don't usually wear longer socks, but the design (plus Mickey's sweet enabling nudging voice) convinced me to throw it in the bag. I had Mickey model them for these pictures. Hehe.



At this point, I may have been able to put everything back on the shelf and walk out without having spent a dime, but then I saw THIS!!!


Mickey was standing right next to me when I immediately snatched the umbrella off the shelf and squealed, "MICKS! IT'S AN ADULT-SIZED BATMAN UMBRELLA!"

Adult-sized is very key here. I own a child-sized Batman umbrella thanks to my awesome-sauce friend, Amy. Yes, it's smaller than your average umbrella because I'm pretty sure it was meant to be carried around by toddlers. People would often ask why my umbrella was so small. The design on my children's umbrella is super dope, but the idea of a Batman umbrella proportional to my adult body (and that folds up to be more compact) was always in the back of my mind.



Check out both of the umbrellas side by side. You can see the significant size difference.


The new umbrella was totally worth it. I immediately put it into use the rest of the afternoon to keep the sun at bay... at least as much as I could. (Don't worry, I'll find ways to still use my original umbrella.)

I'm looking forward to the much milder San Diego weather. 1 day until San Diego Comic Con 2016, everyone! GET EXCITED!

1 comment:

  1. The child-size umbrella made it to Spain and back though!

    ReplyDelete