Sunday, May 29, 2016

Batman in the Kitchen

I lied. It's been 3 weeks since my last blog post. Oops. I've been keeping busy with work in and out of office hours and I also put in a lot of hours for Mickey's 30th birthday party which was a hit. With this long Memorial Day weekend finally here and some major work projects behind me, I'm finally finding a few hours this afternoon for personal stuff. Yay!

I'M BACK and that's what matters. This time, I'm back to share all the fun Batman goodies from our kitchen. I actually took all these photos immediately after my last blog post, but now I'm writing the stories to go with them.

MUGS

We have way too many cups of all sorts in our kitchen and have zero cupboard room left, but every time I see a super cool Batman mug, it's hard to say 'no.' For example, take THIS mug. Batman only appears when you add hot liquids. I'm not usually a fan of these transitional mugs because I don't feel like the quality is that great (i.e. you can still see hints of the invisible design regardless of what temperature the mug is). However, this is actually a pretty quality mug. You can't see any hints of Batman until you fill the mug to the brim with your favorite hot beverage. I used hot water for the sake of these photos. Tell me you don't love this.


This Batman mug is from Six Flags Fiesta Texas in San Antonio, TX. This was the 2nd to last mug I pulled the trigger on a little too quickly, but I'm a sucker for matte black things. Yes, I bought it for the color. The back of this is just all matte black. I think this one's my favorite just for the simplicity.


This next mug was a gift from a friend. I think it's from Walgreens. It's a bit more interesting since the design looks like comic book panels. Also, inside the lip of the mug reads "Caped Crusader" to remind you that you're cool every time you take a sip of your morning coffee or tea, yup, to remind you that you're VERY cool... and also very nerdy.


Last mug! See, I don't own that many, only 4. This one was also from a friend. All my friends are super sweet. Sometimes friends will see something Batman related while they're out and about and just buy it for me because they thought of me... in the most non-creepy way possible of course. Hah. This mug is a pretty common design, the gray and light blue Batman logo and utility belt design. You'll see this design as a common theme in this post. The design is the same on the front and back.


SHOT GLASSES

Alright, we're passed the mugs so let's move on to the fun shot glasses. These 4 came as a set featuring some popular Batman villains, the Joker, Harley Quinn, Two-Face, and the Penguin. These were also a gift from a friend. I don't think they're actually glass, but let's be honest, they're shot glasses and I'm not usually looking at quality when I'm buying my shot glasses. Does it bother you that the only one that isn't translucent is the Two-Face one?


These next two are from a trip to San Diego Comic Con. The Nightwing one technically belongs to Mickey. That's his favorite DC Comics/Batman character. I don't blame him. Nightwing comes in as my 2nd favorite DC/Batman character.

These are from a vendor called Toon Tumblers and the designs are pretty straight forward with an image of Batman/Nightwing, the character name, and their logos. I prefer this old blue Nightwing design over the New 52 red design. I guess the red Nightwing logo matches the rest of the Bat-family, though, like Red Robin, Red Hood, Robin. Meh.


You'll recognize this next design. This is the matching shot glass to the Batman the Ride mug featured earlier from Six Flags Fiesta Texas. I think this may also be my favorite shot glass. I told you I'm a sucker for matte black. I love the bright yellow on the inside, too. The mug was the same with yellow on the inside, which I realize I did not take a picture of. You can use your imagination.


ESPRESSO CUP

This is the only Batman espresso cup I own. I purchased it at the same time as the Batman the Ride mug and shot glass at Six Flags Fiesta Texas. I was in a "YOLO" mood while shopping that day if you can't tell. At the time, Mickey had recently purchased a Nespresso machine for the house which just helped me justify the purchase. It's super cute and fun, though! It features cute comic book sound effects on the outside and a Batman logo on the inside lip.


PINT GLASSES

Of course we have a few pint glasses. These are not hard to come by.

These 2 were also purchased at San Diego Comic Con along with their respective Toon Tumblers shot glasses above. The designs again feature Batman/Nightwing, their logos, and their names on the back. This Nightwing one also belongs to Mickey. Note that unless otherwise mentioned, everything featured on the blog belongs to meeeee.

PRO-TIP: THESE AREN'T DISHWASHER SAFE! You'll notice some damage to the design on the Batman one. Oops. We damaged the Nightwing one too, but the one featured below is a brand new one that Mickey bought as a replacement so, yes, we own 2 of the exact same Nightwing pint glasses.

Real question, why would they NOT be dishwasher safe???


If you've been reading my other blog posts, you'll recognize this pint glass as the Batman v Superman pint glass by Mondo. Mickey and I each received one as part of a special package when we saw Batman v Superman at Alamo Drafthouse here in Austin. Worth it. I haven't used it yet because I feel like it's special or limited. Is it limited? I don't even know. I just buy things.


THIS NEXT PINT GLASS IS MY FAVORITE! It features a bunch of the Batman logos to show the "Evolution of Batman." Prettyyyy.


TRAVEL MUGS

This travel mug is black and yellow, my favorite Batman color combination. I prefer this one out of the 2 that I own since it has a cleaner design with the Batman logo and the gray/black background, which, if you look close enough, features this infinity print of Batman in action. The only downside to this travel mug is that there's no closure so the mouth piece is always open. I have to be careful not to tilt it at all and I'm pretty clumsy so you know how that goes. Blergh.


My other travel mug which I actually bought first has been through the ringer. It wasn't expensive so I'm not too upset. The paper featuring the design is warped from all the hot liquids over the years. I like that this one has a closure for the mouth piece and a handle, but it's definitely harder to clean. Coffee gets into all the crevices that are hard to reach with a sponge.

The design also includes the Bat symbol against a yellow brick wall, but with the inclusion of actual bats... and a rather scary larger bat between the Bat symbols. See???


TUMBLERS

I used these religiously before I got a hold of S'well bottles. They were my go-to water vessel when home or on-the-go. When I use these types of tumblers, I never use the straws that come with them because they're hard to clean. I usually just replace them with plastic, disposable straws. I learned that one from a friend.

Here's one with that gray, light blue Batman symbol and utility belt design I mentioned earlier in the mugs section. I told you this design would come back in this blog post.


And here's another with the simpler black and yellow Batman symbol design. Based on my previous preferences, you can probably decipher that I like this one better... but only slightly.


WINE GLASS

This stemless wine glass is... CUSTOMIZED! If you follow me on Instagram, WHICH YOU SHOULD BE *AHEM*, you'll remember that I went to a bachelorette party where the bride and bridal party had hand-painted wine glasses for all the girls. Mine was personally painted and designed by the bride! She's super sweet and crafty. I love it.


THERMOS FOOD CONTAINER

This is a cute little Thermos food jar, which I never use. I wish I did. I'm just not much of a snack packer and it's too tiny to pack lunch! I've seen other designs and almost bought them, but since I haven't used this one nearly enough, I couldn't justify the additional purchase(s). See? I can be somewhat reasonable when it comes to Batman purchases... except for Funko Pops, but we don't talk about that.

I love this food container and I'm going to figure out how to use it more often.


KOOZIES

Do you guys know what koozies are? Do you guys use them? Your answer to that probably says a lot about where you live.

I had no idea these were such a big deal and such a necessity until I moved to Austin, TX from California. California weather is too amazing to really require koozies, but the heat and humidity in Austin really makes these worth it.

People take their koozies super seriously around here. I know people who just carry their own koozies to parties and bars. You do what you gotta do.

With all that said, I hardly ever use these. I just kind of forget that we have koozies. I'm still not used to using them. I'm hoping that'll change because I actually adore all of these. Almost all of these were gifts! I love my friends.


Here's that gray and light blue Batman symbol and utility belt design again. This koozie design is the same on the front and back.


This Batman koozie kind of gives off a vintage feel with a design featuring a close-up of Batman's face. This is also the same on the front and back.


This Batman koozie is my favorite just because it has the little ears that are cut out and are part of the shape/design of the koozie. The design also looks like Batman is sneakin' a peak over the table. Isn't it adorable? The whole koozie IS Batman's face. Hah. This one features the Batman symbol on the back.


The next couple of koozies are designed for bottles so they're not as versatile, but they're super adorbs. Plus they're made out of a different material that makes it seem like you're putting a sweater on your bottle. Hahaha. I'm so easily amused. I love these.

This one is black and yellow with a nice close-up of Batman's face.


This one has a gray and black Bat symbol and utility belt design. It's like your beer or whatever you're drinking IS Batman. BAT-BOTTLE! Look at the undies. *Giggles immaturely*


ICE CUBE TRAY

I own two of these Bat symbol ice cube trays, but I have no idea where one of them is. It WAS in my parent's old refrigerator in California, but they've since replaced that refrigerator so I have no idea what happened to it... I feel like it'll turn up eventually when I start looking for it when we move back. THIS ONE is from my boss. Knowledge of my obsession with Batman runs far and wide.

See these ice cubes in action on my Instagram here.

I love these, but if your drink is warm or even room temperature, they melt and lose their shape rather quickly so I'm particular about making sure my drink is cold before putting the ice cubes in there... because I like to admire them in my glass. What's the point of Batman ice cubes if you can't admire them for a while IN your glass? Right??


APRON

You bet I own a Batman apron that makes me look like I have Batman's super fit bod while whippin' up dinner or washing dishes. These were definitely not made for little Asian girls, though. It's much too big for me, but I don't care, I still use it all the time. My friends find this hilarious for obvious reasons.


BOTTLE OPENERS

I found this speed opener at Monkey See Monkey Do, my favorite shop on South Congress here in ATX. They had SEVERAL Batman speed openers, but I limited myself to one. The design I chose was a simpler gray/yellow design with just the Bat symbol. When you flip it over, it says "If found, please return to Batman." Hehe.

Opening beer bottles is so much more fun with a Batman speed opener. LET ME OPEN YOUR BOTTLES, GUYS!


The below is also a bottle opener, but I mostly use it as a magnet. The bottle opener is shaped like a batarang and you can use the "feet" or "thumbs" of the bat to open up bottles. I'm obviously not well-versed in the anatomy of a bat, but you get what I mean.


MAGNETS

I think these are the only magnets I own. I would own more, but our refrigerator isn't magnetic on the front WHICH WAS SUPER DISAPPOINTING TO FIND OUT. Ugh.

Magnet designs:
1970s Batman logo
"You made a mistake coming to my city!" with close-up of Batman in the shadows
Close-up child's eye view of Batman
Batarang bottle opener
Die-cut blue/gray Batman and bat symbol
Flashpoint Thomas Wayne Batman swinging over city backdrop
Die-cut black/gray Batman
Retro comic book Batman on purple background
Black/red "Dark Victory" Batman (This is actually one of my favorite drawings of Batman ever)
Cassandra Cain Batgirl swinging over city backdrop
BONUS: Big-headed chibi Deadpool (It was so cute I couldn't not buy it)
BONUS: Mickey's mock Kellogg's Chimichangos Deadpool cereal magnet (Shout out to my friends' ridiculously adorable twin Korean baby girls featured in the picture below)


COASTERS

We were playing around at Dave & Buster's and Mickey let me use all our tickets to get something for myself, which ended up being this set of coasters. This coaster set showcases Batman, Green Lantern, Superman, and Wonder Woman logos. The Batman design look familiar? I wouldn't usually spend money on Justice League products because I really only collect Batman products, but they were D&B tickets and I actually ended up really liking this DC Comics/Justice League coaster set. It's pretty great quality, easy to clean, very aesthetically-pleasing. In all honesty, though, I only ever use the Batman one. I let everyone else use the other ones. Hehe.


WHEW!!! That took me a long time to type up. Hope you enjoyed seeing all the nerdy things in our kitchen. Let me know if you had any favorites.

I mentioned before that I'd like to share some stuff from Mickey's birthday party, but may need to share that in a separate post since this post is already a lot longer than the usual.

I'll be back! Soon. Hopefully. Yes.

1 comment:

  1. 1) I love how when I read your posts I can hear it in your voice rather than mine 2) the apron is my fav and 3) you could open a museum one day!

    ReplyDelete