Saturday, January 30, 2016

The Wedding 09-12-15


Mickey and I recently got married in Morgan Hill, CA on 09-12-15, our 12-year anniversary. Before we even got engaged, a lot of people would make jokes about a Batman-themed wedding because everybody knows how much I love Batman. I kind of considered it after seeing some gorgeous inspiration from When Geeks Wed. Deep down I knew it wouldn't be Batman-themed, though. The wedding wasn't just about me and my obsession after all. Also, let's all be honest, a Batman-themed wedding sounds really dark.

That's not to say that I didn't add a bit of Batman flair wherever I could. :)

Batman music doesn't really lend itself to weddings, but growing up with Batman: The Animated Series, I had to squeeze it in somewhere so I actually had the Batman: TAS theme song playing during the bouquet toss. That was kind of fun and made it seem like way more of an action scene than it was. A girlfriend of mine caught the bouquet with one hand while holding a drink in the other. It was epic and I was so proud.

The excitement in this photo is so palpable. It makes me so happy.
Speaking of music, Mickey had the great idea of having him and the bridal party walk out to the Game of Thrones theme song during the ceremony. I loved it! I was hiding in the back waiting for my turn to walk down the aisle so I'm really excited for the raw footage from our wedding so I can actually see the bridal party walking out. I'll be sure to share that once we receive it.

The few Batman-related items that made their way into our wedding include my garter(s) and my silk robe for getting ready. I adored these details. Our wedding colors were navy and Tiffany blue/teal with aceents of coral and khaki/tan so the yellow/black were outside of the color theme, but they were just the touches of Batman I needed for myself.




#batmanandwhiskey at its finest
Mickey and I had a full open bar, but also served specific wedding cocktails. The groom's "cocktail" was a Coors light with a shot of Jameson which he cleverly called the "Tu Step" (i.e. Two Step) because his real name is Anh Tu. Tell me you don't love that. My drink was a Batmanhattan! The drink pictured below isn't a Manhattan, but it shows the Batman straws that I also made available at the bar for guests to use in case they wanted to embellish their Batman-themed or non-Batman-themed cocktails.


The last bit of geekiness from our wedding came in the form of our custom Funko Pop cake-toppers. These were custom designed to look like us by Tom Shultis. His Facebook page is linked below in case you're interested in seeing his other work.

These toppers weren't blatantly Batman-related as you can see, but they meant a lot to us because Mickey and I are both huge Funko Pop collectors. For any of you who collect these things, you'll know just how addicting they can be. It gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "Once you Pop, you can't stop." I stick to all Batman-themed Funko Pops of course. Earlier on in the wedding planning stages, Mickey had the great idea of getting customized Funko Pop cake toppers for our big day. It was a perfect idea and they turned out AMAZINGLY.



Do they look like us?
We've already had several people ask us about Tom's work because they're interested in the same types of toppers for themselves and we've referred them to him. He of course doesn't just do cake toppers so I'm encouraging you again to check out his stuff. His usual custom work is super impressive and detailed.

That covers the geeky details of the wedding! I've submitted this to When Geeks Wed, too, so I hope they share our wedding soon. :) Here are some bonus wedding photos just because I'm in love with my wedding dress and Mickey looks so clean in that suit.



Since we're on the topic of geeky love, next post will have to be about how Mickey proposed. I love telling the story and giving him credit because it was super cool, unique, and thoughtful all at once. I'll share with you all soon!

---

Photos: Eric Le Photography. Eric is a friend of ours and an amazing Bay Area photographer! We would highly recommend him. Check out more of his work on Facebook, which includes our engagement shoot and some other photos from our wedding.
Custom Funko Pops: Shultis Customs. Tom is extremely talented. Check out his work.
Batman robe: Hot Topic
Batman garter: Aussie Wedding Garters (Esty)
Bridesmaid robes: Victoria's Secret
Wedding dress: Moonlight Bridal. I've actually seen something similar from Haley Paige who I'm a huge fan of. I think the dress I went with is a bit more affordable, though.
Groom's suit: Indochino
Venue: Willow Heights Mansion, Morgan Hill. This is a very helpful, very gorgeous, very professional all-inclusive venue.
Hair & Make-up: Michelle Nguyen, San Jose
Flowers & decor: Deluxe + Design + Decor


2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm sorry if this is so random but I'm wondering where you got your cake topper base (the acrylic disc) ? I'm also doing funko pops for my wedding cake topper but looking for a base! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realize I'm like over 6 months late, but it it's still helpful, we purchased them from an artist on Facebook named Tom Shultis who does amazing customs. :) I see a few links for him. I'm unsure of the best way to contact him, but in case you're interested in trying to reach out:
      https://www.facebook.com/tom.shultis
      https://www.storenvy.com/stores/131202-customs-by-tom-shultis
      https://shultiscustoms.storenvy.com/products

      Delete